Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Review: Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers

Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers by Nick Offerman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

EXCELLENT second foray into the world of book writing!

Nick Offerman (the delightful actor behind my favourite character of all time - Ron Swanson) proves once again through his offering Gumption: Relighting the Torch of Freedom with America's Gutsiest Troublemakers that he is an all around beautiful human being, whilst suffering from the same foibles as us all. I must admit that as a Canuck, I am not completely familiar with all of the great American troublemakers that he presented, but I will admit that as an informal student of history and pop culture, it did make me wonder more about some of the people he included.

I will admit that I have never read Wendell Berry (a wrong that I will right very soon) and I have never read Michael Pollan (another wrong that I will right, I swear sir) but the delicious use of language and his vibrant enthusiasm for their works (one fiction, and one non-fiction) makes me curious to know more. I had a generalized high school knowledge of some of the leaders mentioned (George Washington, FDR, etc.) but I realize that some of the esteemed personages presented in this tome are worthy of a closer investigation. More people should be like Mr. Offerman, then the world would be a grander place indeed!



I particularly enjoyed the chapters on Yoko Ono and Conan O'Brien. One thing that struck close to home was that the vast majority of the men and women on his list were voracious readers! This is something that I aspire to, myself. There is no greater pleasure in the world than the many worlds that you can find inside the pages of a book.

My favourite quote (on Conan O'Brien)

He’s like if Tilda Swinton had a threesome baby with a Viking and a stork. He just wants to put on a hell of a show for us, a goal at which he succeeds with great regularity. The moral? "It’s always been shit."


If you love Nick Offerman, if you love Ron Swanson, even if you just love American History you should read this book for a charming rendition of a working man's inspirational heroes who are chock full of gumption.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment