Saturday, April 1, 2017

Review: The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic

The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There were a lot of words I could use to describe this story... A LOT of words that could describe my thinking. Obtuse came to mind about a couple of the characters many times. Pedantic, when thinking of the prose because heaven forbid we do not speak like PhD lit student in our novel as that might be unbecoming to our prowess as an author. HEAVEN FORE FEND!



I felt like I was being talked down to, a lot like Nora seemed to feel. The comparison to my favourite story of all time was not played out as well as it could have been, and while I'm curious if Nora ever redeemed herself, this book was WAAAAAAAAAAY to dense and slow paced with a negligible plot. In fact, the woman you think of as the heroine (or whom you should think of as the heroine) isn't even the one the story really turns out to be about! If another book comes, I won't be rushing to find it and may not even grab it until it's hit the 2 for $1 bin. Disappointing and nothing like the other series it was compared to which caught my eye in the first place!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment